Saturday 18 October 2014

Purse Puppies and Other Transit Pet Peeves

On the whole, transit isn’t so bad. However, there are certain things that happen on the bus and skytrain that absolutely drive me crazy! Here are my top seven pet peeves:

#7. Eating

Alright, I eat on the bus sometimes, especially if I’m heading home from school and I know it will be a while until dinner. Call me a hypocrite all you want, but it isn’t the snackers that bother me on the bus. What bothers me is when people bring something warm, large, and delicious-smelling. On my way home, when I haven’t eaten for a few hours, it’s nearing dinner time, my stomach is rumbling loudly enough that people around me can hear it, and all I want to do is eat something, I don’t want to smell your delicious burger! I don’t want to see you lick your fingers clean of your doughnut residue! It’s torturous really, and it should be a crime.

#6. Crowding

There are of course exceptions to this one. Obviously, if you’re heading to the airport, you’re going to have a suitcase with you – that’s totally reasonable. Or if you’re coming back from the grocery store, it’s understandable to have a couple bags by your side. The pet peeve I’m talking about though, is unnecessary crowding.

“Sorry to ask, Mam, but does your bag really need to take up a whole seat? Would you mind putting it on your lap?”

“Excuse me sir, but would you mind sitting up in your seat so these two people and I can sit too? Greatly appreciated.”

Of course, being the good Canadian that I am, I would never say these things out loud, but I sure feel like it sometimes.

#5. Second and Third-Hand Smoke

Yes, people are allowed to smoke at uncovered bus stops, unfortunately, but it would be really nice if they could not sit in the middle of the bench forcing me to breathe it in too. The worst thing though is when someone, on the bus or skytrain (both closed-in spaces), sits beside me with smoke-coated clothing and tobacco breath. I’m not sure if they know that my sneezing is actually a result of their bad habit, but it is.

#4. Animals

Yep. Animals. It’s only happened a couple times, and yes they are allowed on the bus, according to TransLink. I guess the couple little dogs in travel cages that I have seen haven’t really done anything to hurt me. In fact, they’re usually pretty quiet. This “pet” peeve (Ha! See what I did there? Budmmmp-schhh!) most likely stems from my dislike of small dogs in general. I have always found small dogs irritating, with their intense energy and high-pitch yaps. Maybe I should get past that.

#3. Strollers

Again, with this one, it’s all about being reasonable. Strollers are perfect for taking small children with you. It stops them from whining about sore feet and keeps them out of harm’s way. However, some parents can be absolutely ridiculous with their demands for space. Numerous times, I have witnessed parents with children of about four or five years take up entire wheelchair sections, preventing a handicapped passenger from being able to ride the bus. If children are capable of walking, they are capable of riding the bus without a stroller. Just fold it up and let someone have your space who needs it more. (Check out TransLink's "The Buzzer" for more stories.)

#2. Gum Chewers

Oh. Your breath stinks? For sure, chew some gum! You’re quitting smoking? Good for you! You chew that gum! Just whatever you do, DO NOT CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH OPEN. We’re getting down to my biggest pet peeves now… the ones that really, really irk me.

Just yesterday, I was sitting in the back of the bus on my way to school, wondering why my lap was wet (turns out my water bottle spilled in my bag, soaking all my books), when this guy walked on and I could hear his chewing long before he was anywhere near me.

Chomp. Chomp. Chomp.

“We have a chewer!!!” I felt like yelling across the bus, but I held my tongue, because good Canadians don’t do that type of thing.

#1. Earphones: the Transporter to Another Universe

There must be something magical or extra-terrestrial put into earbuds and headphones, because for some reason, as soon as people put some on their heads, they disappear into a different world.  I know commuting provides time for you to catch up on your favourite podcast or listen to that album you haven’t listened to in ages, but I think many of your fellow passengers would appreciate it if you put some extra effort into paying attention. It isn’t such a bad thing if you’re sitting in a window seat. Chances are, you’re not in anybody’s way or causing any problems. The issue comes from people standing in the middle of the bus with their earphones in and their eyes closed. I don’t know why on earth anyone would think it’s a good idea to do that, but it happens all the time. All. The. Time.

“Sir,” an elderly woman says as she tries to get by a young man blocking the exit.

“Sir?” she asks again. He doesn’t move. She asks him one more time before tapping him on the shoulder. He opens his eyes and takes out one earphone.

“Sir? Excuse me. I need to get past you.”

 As this point, almost everyone on the bus is staring at him. Embarrassed he moves out of the way and the woman gets off the bus.

That situation most certainly could have gone bad very quickly. Most people on the bus are not as patient as that woman. I just wish people would be more respectful of others while on the bus, and take out at least one earphone once in a while.

Now, I think it’s probably time I share some positive stories from my transit adventures, but that will have to wait for another day. Make sure to subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss out!

4 comments:

  1. aren't strollers allowed in the wheelchair section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is they are, unless it prevents a handicap person from riding.

      Delete
  2. Well written...I enjoyed your observations, Danika

    ReplyDelete