Friday 10 October 2014

Guide to Your First Ride: Public Transit for Beginners

It’s a Wednesday morning, and I’m ready to take my first ride on a Metro-Vancouver bus. I leave the house and walk to the bus stop, and as I walk with the sun glaring in my face, I realise I've forgotten my sunglasses. I keep walking though – no time to turn back.

What if I don’t make it in time? Will I have to run after it like they do in the movies?

I make it to the stop, sit down on the bench, and pull out the fare ticket my uncle gave me.

Where do I put this thing? Will I get it back? How do I transfer to my next bus?

If you’re anything like me, you also have questions about riding the bus. Here are a few steps to making your trip successful.

Step 1: Planning Your Route

You probably know where you want to go already, but now you need to know how to get there.

I personally prefer using the Google Maps app. I just enter my current location, my destination, and when I would like to leave/arrive by – Google handles the rest! It tells me when to leave the house to get to the stop on time, how long to ride the bus, what stop to get off at, and where to go to reach my final destination.

Your local transit system probably has an online trip planner that will work as well (if you’re in the Vancouver area, click here). Local convenience stores and larger transit stations will also have maps and schedules you can take.

Step 2: Fare Payment

There are a few ways to pay:
            
a) Spare Change. Check your local transit website for prices – they vary from place to place.

b) Fare Tickets. These usually cost less if you buy them in a book. Places like 7-Eleven and Shoppers Drug Mart typically have them.

c) Transit Pass. If you plan on taking transit regularly (or every day, in my case), then this is the way to go. Passes are for unlimited travel, so you never have to worry about having fare for the day. (Check for discounts too, especially if you’re a student or senior)

Step 3: Getting On

Be at your bus stop early (3-5 minutes before). There is nothing worse than watching the bus pull away from the curb, and you probably don’t want to be that person running to make it on in time.

Have your fare ready when the bus arrives – no one wants to wait for you to get it out.

Let any elderly or disabled persons go ahead of you. If you plan on riding the same route often, you may want the other riders to like you.

Insert your ticket/change into the machine and wait for your transfer ticket. This serves as proof of payment and lets you get on another bus, within a certain time limit, without having to pay again. If you’re using a pass, you will either have to scan it or show it to the driver.

That reminds me of another thing: always smile at the bus driver. As you become more familiar with the system, you will realise that the driver has a hard job and every smile counts.

Now choose a seat. If you have the option, somewhere close to the back door is nice. Try to save the seats at the front for elderly and disabled people.


Step 4: Getting Off

Listen for the stop announcements so you don’t miss your stop. As soon as your stop is announced, press the stop button or pull the rope along the side of the bus (some buses may only have one or the other).

Unless you like making a fool of yourself, don’t try to move around the bus while it is starting or stopping. It’s a little hard to keep your balance during those times.

Thank the bus driver on the way out. You definitely don’t have to, but I always think it’s a nice thing to do, and lots of people do it!

Those are all the basics. Have a safe trip and feel free to ask me any questions in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. My niece Stephanie drives bus in Vancouver. Very nice lady with a unique sense of humor. I believe she drives to UBC. In any case, watch for a driver who is friendly, female, has long hair and an infectious smile. That would be Stephanie.
    Miss you, girl!
    Midge Nayler

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Kenmore-Vtg-1960-Sewing-Machine-Buttonholer-30-Cam-Set-Sew-By-Color-Lot-/222583236133?hash=item33d2fea625:g:ehoAAOSwlXhZavny

    ReplyDelete